If despite the risks (see previous post), you do decide to move forward with a long-distance romance that starts on-line, do it smartly!
Smart Tips For Testing Out a Long-Distance On-Line Romance
1. Get to a live, in-person meeting as soon as it is realistically possible. (Not 6 months later.)
2. Set up the first visit at one of your hometowns. You want to get as realistic a picture as possible right from the beginning.
3. Go for a 2-3 day stay if possible. Try a range of activities, see their home, meet their friends, go along on errands. All of this will help you get a better sense of the
4. The next visit, meet at the other person’s hometown.
5. If you can’t meet at least one a month, it’s probably not worthy trying- it will take too long to even see if you are compatible in real life. Remember, talk is cheap. Action is real.
6. You’ll definitely need to spend longer periods together to determine if you should even consider moving to the same location. Try a couple week long vacations, again in the hometowns.
7. Always, always, always address concerns and red flag issues as soon as they crop up. You can’t afford to wait and see in this type of situation.
8. If it ever doesn’t feel right in your gut, it’s time to cut it off and move on to more promising, and closer options.
Readers: What other advice do you have about making an online, long-distance romance successful?